Other terms: nose job
Rhinoplasty surgery is a cosmetic procedure to reshape the nose, to make it more harmonious with the other facial features it can be done surgically or medically depending on what needs to be modified. It can be associated with other procedure like septoplasty and turbinectomy (work or septum of the nose and turbines) to improve breathing if need be.
How you prepare for rhinoplasty surgery
Before scheduling rhinoplasty, you must meet with your surgeon to discuss important factors that determine whether the surgery is likely to work well for you. This meeting generally includes:
- Your medical history
- A physical exam: upon examination and taking history your doctor will decide on need of xrays, CT scan or other exams needed for decision making.
- Photographs: Generally there is at least 3 views are needed:
1- Strict full frontal or antero posterior view:
2- Strict lateral view (right and left):
3- Strict basal view:
- A discussion of your expectations:
Expactions can differ from one person to another, it is very importatnt to discuss this with your surgeon and if will be able to fulfill them.
Like any surgery the rhinoplasty surgery has general risk, but are usually rare:
- An adverse reaction to the anesthesia
And some risks specific to rhinoplasty surgery that include but are not limited to:
- Difficulty breathing through your nose
- Permanent numbness in and around your nose
- The possibility of an uneven-looking nose
- Pain, discoloration or swelling that may persist
- A hole in the septum (septal perforation)
- A need for additional surgery
What you can expect
Rhinoplasty surgery can be done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia depending on what needs to be done.
After the surgery
After the surgery, you expect to breath by your mouth because your nose will be blocked with intranasal gauzes for 2 days, that will be removed in the office, however you’re your nose may continue to be congested and blocked until swelling subsidies for few days.
You might need to have a protective plaster for 3weeks if there some work on the bone.
Depending on the kind of work done on the nose, the final result can be visible within one month and swelling continue to improve up to 3 months.
Consult Dr lahouel for Rhinoplasty surgery in Johannesburg or near areas.